Learning how to make basic things can really help you save money and can help in a pinch when you run out of things. Most of these DIYs and recipes can be made using things you have in your pantry or around the house.
My last post 15 things to start making instead of buying went viral over 4 years ago so it’s long overdue for a sequel.
*This post contains affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
12 more things to start making instead of buying
1. Body Butter
Body butter is a rich, luxurious kind of lotion. It’s ultra-hydrating and super easy to make!
1. Blend two tbsps of oats in a blender and set aside.
2. Melt coconut oil and cocoa butter on a stove on low heat.
3. Remove coconut oil and cocoa butter from heat and add in essential oils and ground oats.
4. Transfer the mixture to a jar and let it cool completely. You can pop it in the fridge to speed up the process.
It’s ready to use once it’s completely solidified!
2. Rosemary Water
Rosemary water has many amazing benefits including stimulating hair growth, aiding in hair loss, relieving an itchy scalp and is anti-bacterial!
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 cups of water
- Bring water to a boil
- Add in rosemary, stir
- Remove from heat and let sit until cool
- Remove the rosemary and place water in a spray bottle
- Store in fridge and spray on roots both morning and night
3. Pumpkin Spice Creamer
I love a good pumpkin spice latte but Starbucks still hasn’t made their’s vegan and store-bought creamer can be expensive. It’s so easy and cheap to make your own!
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until combined
- Store in a jar in the fridge and add to your coffee!
4. Plant-Based Milk
It honestly only takes 2-3 ingredients and a blender to make your own delicious plant milk at home! Find 3 of my favourite recipes here!
Making your own yogurt only takes 2 ingredients and is so good without the fillers and additives!
6. Body Scrub
You can make your own body scrub, smell delicious and save waste with this homemade body scrub recipe!
- Leftover coffee grounds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (brown, white, any kind it doesn’t matter)
- 10 drops of Essential oils (optional)
- Take the coffee grounds from your filter or French press and squeeze out as much excess water as possible. I do this with a strainer.
- Then place your grounds in a bowl and add in the coconut oil (solidified) and sugar or choice.
- Mix it up using a whisk or fork!
- Add in your essential oils if using and transfer to a small jar or container!
- To use: scoop out the mixture with your fingers while in the bath or shower, exfoliate the body and face and rinse
These DIY candles are so fun and easy to make! You can customize their scent and their vessel! I’ve used thrifted tea cups and jars and they’re always so cute!
- Double boiler
- Wooden spoon
- Small glass jars ( I upcycled some old yogurt containers!)
- Wooden or cotton wicks
- Prep your candles by making sure the jars are clean and dry, attach your wicks to their anchors and place them in the jars.
- Using a double boiler, (or fill a large pot with water and place a smaller pot or heat-safe bowl inside) melt your beeswax until it’s liquified.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil and optional essential oils until melted and combined.
- Pour into jars, and allow to set for several hours before using.
8. Hair Gel
Another 2 ingredient recipe to save you money!
- 2 tbsp flax seed (whole, not ground)
- 1 cup of water
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and then add in flax seeds
- Stir for about 5 minutes before removing from heat and allow to cool
- Use a mesh strainer to strain the seed from the water mixture (it should have thickened up)
- Place gel in a bottle and use it as you would gel!
9. Micellar Water
This is another recipe of mine that has gone viral and one that I’ve made over and over again. It sounds like a lot of ingredients but once you have them on hand they last a long time and are great for other DIYs too. See the recipe here!
10. Unpaper Towel
We’re in the 2020s. It’s time to stop buying paper towels! Make your own using scrap fabric! Try the DIY here!
11. Reusable Swiffer Pads
Swiffers are great but you don’t have to keep buying the pads repeatedly when it’s so easy to make your own! Find the instructions here!
12. Refillable Swiffer Solution
The same goes for the Swiffer solution! You can actually open the solution bottle and refill it with your own powerful, non-toxic solution! Find the recipe here!
And there you have it! 12 more recipes, 12 more things to start making instead of buying! Please don’t forget to save and share this post for future reference! And if you make any of the recipes, please let me know!