Lip balm was one of the first DIY projects I ever made and it’s the one I seem to make over and over again. I love this DIY organic lip balm recipe because it’s so simple and so effective.
It doesn’t matter what season it is, my lips are always dry and I got through lip balms like it’s nobody’s business. My go-to for years was always Burt’s Bees.
Not too long ago, I learned that since Burt’s Bees was bought out by Clorox they’ve started adding canola and soybean oil to their lip balms. Both of which cannot be sourced naturally and are therefore a chemically treated compound. Sigh, why does this happen to all the good brands?
Not too mention that almost $4 price tag was a lot and the amount of plastic I was continuously tossing made me a little queasy.
I will say though, I have saved several Burt’s Bees tubes and reused them for my own recipe! So if you’ve got a lip balm tube that’s almost empty, consider saving it for this DIY!
*This post contains affiliate links meaning I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase using these links. I only recommend products I love and trust. See our full disclosure here.
DIY Organic Lip Balm:
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 1 tsp jojoba/almond/vitamin e oil (optional but great for really dry or chapped lips)
- 15 drop of essential oils (Peppermint, lavender, sweet orange, and grapefruit are my favorites)
- Old lip balm tubes or lip balm tins
This post will be short and sweet because this recipe is literally so simple. Check out how easy it is to make:
- Combine all ingredients except the essential oil in a double boiler on the stove. You can make your own by placing a small pot in a larger pot filled with water.
- Melt all the ingredients until well combined, stirring frequently so the mixture doesn’t burn.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about a minute and then add in your essential oils. Mix well.
- Transfer mixture to tins or lip balm tubes and let cool completely. This may take a few hours.
- Your lip balm is ready to use when mixture is completely cooled!
These lip balms would make great add on gifts or even wedding favors!
This DIY organic lip balm is just as good as Burt’s Bees in my opinion! And I love knowing there are no compromises on ingredients and I’m saving on a ton of plastic waste!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
I hope you get the chance to try out this recipe and you love it! Please don’t forget to share this post and follow me on Instagram for more recipes and daily low waste living tips!