Oh, winter. You’re so, so beautiful but so, so harsh to my skin.
I already have dry skin but when winter comes around it’s nothing but cracking, flaking, heat rashes and itchy skin. TMI? Ah, well. That’s why you’re here, isn’t it? To learn how to prevent AND how to keep skin hydrated in the winter!
So here are all my secrets to combating dry skin in the harsh, cold weather!
How to keep skin hydrated in the winter:
- Don’t wash with hot water – I know, I know. All I want in the winter is a nice long hot shower. But hot water can really dehydrate the skin by stripping away it’s natural oils making it more sustainable to that itchy, cracking skin we all hate so much. Rather, opt for a luke-warm shower.
- Moisturize right out of the shower – wait a moment or two for skin to dry but DO NOT towel dry right out of the shower. You’ll want to moisturize while skin is still damp as to lock in moisturize. It’s also important to find a moisturizer and lotion with low alcohol as alcohol can dry out the skin further. You can even use a moisturizing body wash for added moisture.
- Keep hydrated – Speaking of keeping your skin hydrated, you’ll also want to keep the rest of your body hydrated by drinking lots during the cold months. Remember: hydrated skin is happy skin.
- Protect your skin – get used to wearing gloves and scarves and hats if you live in a cold climate. And I don’t want to hear it, some times protecting your skin is more important than being fashionable. But if you are concerned with being cute AND warm then check out my post on how to layer without looking bulky here.
- Exfoliate – It’s important to exfoliate your face and body during the winter to help get rid of dead skin cells so it’s easier for moisturizer to get in. Try using an exfoliating body wash for your body.
- Get a humidifier – The cold air can dry out our skin in an instant. Especially when our heat is on so high in our houses. Try installing a humidifier in your main living space or your bedroom to help add moisture back into the air.
And those are my best tips for keeping skin soft and hydrated in the winter! May these tips help save your skin during these cold and drying? months!
Don’t forget to pin this post and follow me on Instagram for daily inspiration!