Taking care of ourselves is so, so important. From personal hygiene to pampering ourselves.
Unfortunately, majority of the products we use to take care of ourselves are horrible for the environment. Everything comes in a plastic tube and when we’re done, we toss it and buy more.
Waste is a never ending circle that’s hard to stop.
You’d be surprised how many of our daily used items contain plastic. Not only in their packaging but in the products themselves!
So today I’ve rounded up 12 essential items for any girls personal care routine that are plastic free!
*This post contains affiliate links meaning I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. I only recommend products I love and trust. To see my full disclosure, click here.
*The images in this post are not my own and I do not claim any ownership over them. Credit is given to the respectful owners beneath each image.
Plastic-free personal care routine essentials:
1. Safety Razor – Take a moment to think about how many disposable razors you go through each year. Even ones with replaceable cartridges. Now multiply that by everyone who shaves. It’s an unfathomable number. And all of those razors still exist, sitting in a landfill somewhere to this day.
That’s where safety razors come in. A way to cut back on the disposable razor waste. Now, this isn’t a post dedicated to safety razors and I don’t have all the answers about them. they’re more difficult to use and to clean than a disposable razor. And more dangerous for that matter.
But at the end of the day, they’re a much more affordable option in the long run as you won’t need to replace it very often and you can find plastic-free blade replacements almost anywhere! Here’s the one I use.
Read all about how to shave with a safety razor here.
2. Shaving soap – Most shaving creams come in plastic bottles. This is a waste-free way to get a clean and smooth shave. you could also opt for coconut oil for your shave as well. Both great, plastic-free options.
3.Soap – Speaking of soap, we can’t forget washing your body! Instead of using a body wash in a traditional plastic container, use a package-free, all-natural soap instead!
4. Soap Saver – Your new saving grace when it comes to using bar soap. This little baggie is plastic-free and gives you a place to keep your soap so it’s dripping all over the shower. You can also use the soap while it’s still in the bag as it makes a great exfoliator!
5. Shampoo bar – Plastic-free, packaging-free, all-natural and super easy to use! Solid shampoo and conditioner are the latest and greatest in plastic-free hair care! Simply rub the bar on your scalp/hair, massage in and rinse out! Easy peasy and no waste!
6. Conditioner bar – Conditioner bar, naturally, is the follow up to a shampoo bar! Same deal, same routine, same plastic-free values!
6. Cotton swab – The handle on traditional cotton swabs is most often plastic. And since they’re typically a one-use item, you could be throwing plastic out every single day. That really adds up.
These cotton swabs are made from bamboo and since they contain no plastic they are compostable! They even come in a cardboard box made from recycled materials.
7. Bamboo toothbrush – Like disposable razors, toothbrushes are cheap, made from plastic and thrown away quite regularly. All that plastic waste adds up over time. You could buy an electric toothbrush to combat this but my favorite way is bamboo toothbrushes.
Made from, obviously, bamboo, they contain no plastic, are compostable and biodegradable and the bristles are made from synthetic fibers which makes them more hygienic.
8. Toothpaste tablets – Little, compact tablets of toothpaste that look similar to breath mints. They come in a biodegradable, plastic-free container and are cruelty-free! Simply pop one in your mouth, crush it between your teeth and using a wet toothbrush, brush away! They foam up nice and leave zero waste behind. A major win.
9. Deodorant – Naturally, traditional deodorant comes in a plastic container. Including natural ones.
Check out my guide to natural deodorants here.
And there’s a plethora of different deodorants you can get from traditional to sprays to pastes and even powders!
This one that I LOVE comes in plastic-free packaging that is 100% compostable cardboard.
10. Floss – Not only is your floss made from plastic but the container comes in is often plastic as well. Basically, it’s a double whammy.
This floss is an all-natural silk floss that comes in a reusable little glass jar making both the floss and its packaging plastic-free.
And there you have it! My top 10 essentials to have a plastic-free personal care routine! I honestly was oblivious to how much plastic I was using daily and how much plastic I was throwing away daily! There is literally plastic everywhere!
I think it’s important for us to start being a lot more mindful and observant of the things we use, what they’re made of and how we’re disposing of them. We only have this one planet and it’s our duty to do what we can to take care of it.
Now go forth and waste no more! 😉