Since I’ve started experimenting with sourdough earlier this year, I love nothing more than a fresh slice of sourdough bread with some seasonal jam! That being said most store-bought jams come loaded with sugar. It’s been really hard for me to find a tasty jam that doesn’t taste like almost complete sugar.
On the flip side, most jam recipes also call for lots of sugar. Using pectin usually requires added sugar and no-sugar needed pectin already contains sugar! So it almost seems hopeless to enjoy a jam without the added sugar.
And don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with sugar. I just don’t like starting my day with it usually. I prefer to let the fruit and natural sugars sweeten the jams for me.
I came across this recipe from fourtuneavenuekitchen.com and after some experimenting and modifying I think I’ve found the perfect sugar free jam recipe!
The best part of this recipe is that it’s a blank slate, you can make it using any fruit!
Sugar free jam recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups fruit of your choice (For this recipe I’m using strawberries)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup/agave/ or another liquid sweetener of choice
- Add the fruit to a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat
- As it begins to boil, mash up the fruit using a potato masher or fork
- Remove from heat once finely mashed and stir in the sweetener of choice
- Lastly, add in the chia seeds and let stand for a few minutes to thicken
- Transfer to an air tight jar or container and keep in the fridge or freezer!
The chia seeds in this recipe work to thicken the jam without the need for pectin and therefore sugar. Since I used strawberries which are a little sweeter, I only added 2 tbsp of sweetener. Make sure to taste test and add more if needed!
And that’s how you make this wonderful sugar free jam recipe! It’s quick, easy, healthy and tasty! And it only requires 3 ingredients!
Please don’t forget to share this post if you lked it and follow me on Instagram for daily low waste and simple living inspiration.