The waste that takes place between October and January is startling. In fact, it’s estimated that waste production goes up by 25% in just the last 3 months of the year alone! And that’s due to extra candy/chocolate wrappers, single-use decor, single-use Halloween costumes, gifts, food waste and so much more!
Now, I’m really as basic as it gets with my love for fall. Give me all the pumpkin spice lattes and cliche fall activities. But the thing I love most about fall is how absolutely breathtaking it is. And as someone whose goal is to help preserve the planet, I want to see many more falls, untouched.
That’s why I’ve put together this list of sustainable fall activities to help inspire you to get into the fall mood without unnecessary waste!
Sustainable Fall Activities:
*This post contains affiliate links. See our disclosure here.
1. Visit a pumpkin patch and course all pumpkins/gourds locally (don’t forget to compost or take them to an animal sanctuary!)
2. Decorate for fall using reusable decorations and natural items
3. Carve pumpkins ensuing to compost or use the insides as well as roast the seeds
4. Bake fall treats from scratch rather than buying store-bought
5. Make homemade apple cider
6. Thrift or make your Halloween costume
7. Make non-toxic candles (find my recipe here!)
8. Do a neighbourhood trash pick up (Probably after Halloween to pick up any stray candy wrappers!)
9. Have a fall picnic with all the reusables! (See my summer zero waste picnic here for inspo!)
10. Make a wreath with foliage you find outdoors
11. Thrift some cozy pieces for your fall wardrobe
12. Forage for mushrooms
13. Press leaves
14. Up your makeup game with a deep lip colour like this one from Trestique
15. Donate unwanted clothing to a shelter or thrift store
16. Volunteer at a soup drive
17. Make fire cider to ward off cold and flu season
19. Paint your nails with non-toxic nail polish
20. Spend as much time in nature, enjoying the season as you can!
And there you have it! 20 sustainable fall activities that are festive and won’t cause any harm to our beautiful planet!
Please don’t forget to share this post and follow me on Instagram for daily sustainable living tips!