Thrifting is one of the most sustainable ways to shop. It helps create a circular economy, by keeping items out of the landfills. Because despite what you may think, even items donated to thrift stores have a good chance of ending up in the landfill, especially if they don’t sell. Plus it’s really affordable as well! In this post, I’ll be sharing 12 things to always look for at the thrift store!
All of these things you could buy new. But it would cost you more and it would only create more demand, which is unsustainable in the long term.
12 Things to always look for at the thrift store:
1. Baskets – You can walk into almost any store and find decorative and storage baskets. The same is true for any thrift store but at a fraction of the price! Baskets are always a great purchase because not only are they cute but super-useful for keeping all your stuff organized.
2. Wooden hangers – I love the look of a closet organized with wooden hangers. And they’re usually in excess at thrift stores. Including wooden pant hangers!
3. Picture frames – Picture frames are not only great for holding pictures but there are so many ways you can upcycle a picture frame as decor or for organization.
4. Holiday decor – Holiday decor tends to be very trend-driven and quite…plastic. No need to waste your money buying new decor every year when you could thrift it! That way you can give it a new life and keep it out of the landfill for a bit longer.
5. Dishes – There are so many wonderful dish sets at the thrift store just waiting to be yours! From plates, mugs, cups, wine glasses, and cutlery sets!
6. Toys – If you have kids then you probably know that their interests change all the time. It can be expensive always splurging on their new obsession. Head to your local thrift store to see what they have! Chances are they’ll have something your kiddo will love.
7. Cast iron skillets/pans – cast iron cookware can run quite expensive if bought brand new. And for good reason, they’re of such good quality and last a lifetime! And you can usually find them at the thrift store! My cast iron skillets are some of my favourite thrift finds ever!
8. Baking dishes – Loaf pans, baking sheets, muffin tin, pizza pans and so on. The thrift stores are full of them! When I first moved into my apartment, I bought all of my dishes and baking dishes from the thrift store! Especially if you’re just moving out, this can help you out so much!
9. Vases – Vases are another great multi-use item like picture frames. They’re great for their intended purpose and decor as well as easy to paint, upcycle and use for many other projects!
10. Furniture – I also furnished my apartment with second-hand furniture. You can find so many vintage pieces and pieces with great bones at the thrift store. Pieces that are perfect as is or that can be painted and DIY-ed to make fit your style!
11. Natural clothing – Thrifting your clothing is a really great option to minimize your fast fashion consumption or if you can’t always afford ethical fashion. And while buying fast fashion from the thrift store is perfectly fine as it keeps these items out of the landfill, the thing you should always be looking for is clothing made from natural materials. This includes cotton, linen, hemp, tencel, wool and so on. Clothing made from natural materials is usually made better and made to last.
I think it’s always best to check out a thrift store when you’re in need of something, especially any of these 11 things! Buying these items second hand will reduce so much waste and save you so much money.
Thank you for reading, please don’t forget to share this post and follow me on Instagram for more low waste and thrifting inspiration!