Yogurt is one of my favourite foods. It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack, topping, dressing, you name it! Plain yogurt is so versatile. Coconut yogurt is the ideal solution for someone who doesn’t consume dairy. however, I don’t love the price of store-bought coconut yogurts or the excess ingredients like gums, oil or sugar.
When I discovered how easy it is to make vegan coconut yogurt, I was floored. Truly, I may never buy store-bought coconut yogurt again.
Vegan Coconut Yogurt Recipe
- 1 can coconut milk or coconut cream (depending on how thick you like your yogurt)
- 2 probiotic capsules
- Optional sweeteners for after fermentation process: maple syrup, agave syrup, vanilla
- Glass jar
- Wooden or ceramic spoon
- Rubber band
- Begin by scooping the coconut milk into a clean glass jar. Usually with coconut milk cans, there will be thick coconut milk on top and coconut water on the bottom. You don’t want to get too much of the water into your jar or it may make the yogurt too thin.
- Open each probiotic capsule and pour it onto the coconut milk in the jar.
- Using a wooden or ceramic spoon, mix the probiotic powder into the coconut milk. You don’t want to use a metal spoon for this as it can negatively affect the powders process,
- Place a cheesecloth or very thin towel over the jar and secure it with a rubber band.
- Let sit on the counter at room temperature for 24 hours ensuring it’s not in direct sunlight.
- After 24 hours, remove the covering, store and refrigerate.
- Once cool, dig in! With each serving is where you can add your sweeteners or flavourings of choice.
This vegan coconut yogurt recipe lasts in the fridge for about 7 days…if you can keep yourself from eating it all in the first few!
I love this recipe as a low-waste, vegan, healthy yogurt that’s packed full of the coconut’s healing properties as well as all the beneficial goodness of the probiotics!
Thank you so much for reading! I hope you love this Vegan Coconut Yogurt Recipe and try it out for yourself! Don’t forget to share this post and follow me on Instagram for daily low-waste living inspiration!