It’s that time of year again where we all begin to reflect on the last 12 months and think about the things we can change and do better in the next 12 months.
I know that there is a lot for me to be proud of over this past year but also a few things I need to work on and aspire to.
For this post, I wanted to focus solely on the zero waste resolutions I think we could all implement this coming year.
Whether you’ve dabbled in going zero waste or have been living sustainably for a while, there are lots on this list to encourage, remind and inspire you to get on track towards a more sustainable future!
*This post contains affiliate links meaning I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. I only recommend products I love and trust. To see our full disclosure, click here.
Zero waste resolutions for the New Year:
1. remember your reusable bags – We’ll start off easy. But I think we’re all guilty of this one. Myself included. You buy cute reusable bags, you’re all excited to use them and then you’re paying for your groceries and…you’ve forgotten them.
Now, I’ve totally balanced 20 things in my arms to avoid using plastic bags but sometimes I’ve had to use one. I’m not proud. This is an easy, thoughtful goal that can make a world of a difference.
Try setting reminders on your phone or keeping extra bags in your car. The hardest thing for me to overcome was after unloading my groceries, remembering to put the bags back in my car. Just don’t put it off!
2. Start composting – You can get a countertop composter for as little as $30. A small price to pay for a lifetime of composting. Even if you live in an apartment you can compost with ease!
3. Buy no new clothes – (With the exception of underwear) This last year I only bought maybe 2 or 3 things brand new. Everything else was thrifted. Thrifting is a great way too not only save money but shop sustainably.
This is part of the “make fashion circular movement” meaning that instead of clothes being made poorly, bought, worn for a little and tossed out, (like a line) clothing is made, bought, worn, donated, bought again, worn again, donated, etc, etc. (Like a circle.)
4. Make plastic-free swaps for your favorite products – Try a soap bar instead of a body wash, a shampoo bar instead of a shampoo bottle…you get the idea. There are lots of plastic-free options for all your everyday items. Finally making the switch is not only a fantastic zero waste resolution but also a simple one!
5. Create a zero-waste kit – Something that you can keep in your car or in your purse. This can include a reusable straw, bamboo cutlery, to-go coffee cup/water bottle, etc, etc. This will help you create less waste in the long run.
6. Start making your own household products – Not only does this save money and cut down on plastic packaging but also eliminates common chemicals that are really harmful to us.
You can make your own makeup and beauty products and cleaning supplies as well! Buy your ingredients in bulk using reusable containers and make a whirlwind of your own products!
There you have it! 6 very attainable zero waste resolutions for you to make this New Year! What are some sustainable goals you have for the next 12 months! Let me know down below!
And as always, don’t forget to share this post and follow me on Instagram for daily low waste and ethical fashion inspiration!